- On the main menu bar, click Lists, then Insurance Companies.
2. Enter an Insurance Code, otherwise if left blank the program will assign one. This field is limited to 9 characters. If for example the Insurance name is “United Health Care” you could enter this as UHC, or UNITEDHC, UNITED001, etc…
3. On the Information tab, enter the Insurance Name, Address 1, City, State, and Zip Code (and the 4-digit Extended Zip Code if known). It is very important, if you plan on sending electronic claims, that there be no extra spaces in these fields.
4. Select the Type that best describes this Insurance Company.
5. If you use Fee Schedules, select a Fee Schedule Type, to link a Fee Schedule to an Insurance Company. If need help setting up a Fee Schedule please refer to the next training manuals.
6. Leave the Send Ordering Provider in Loop 2420E and Send Practice Taxonomy in Loop 2000A boxes unchecked unless instructed by the Insurance Company, or if you get rejections on electronic claims pertaining to these items.
7. Place a check mark in the Accept Assignment field, unless if your practice does not accept assignment for the Insurance Company being entered.
8. The Insurance Category (1, 2, and 3) fields are for your grouping purposes. For example, you may have more then 1 Medicare entry in your Insurance Carrier List, and if all claims for those carriers go to the same place (paper or electronic) it may be a time saver to group those carriers so claims can be printed at the same time. Another example would be when using a clearinghouse, such as Availity, who may accept many of your commercial carriers (like Aetna, Cigna, United Healthcare, etc…), you could sign all of those carriers to a category called “AVAILITY” and batch those claims using the category, rather then individually selecting, or selecting ranges of insurance carriers.
9. The EDI Special Processing Agreement field is for Champus only. To see a list
of appropriate values, hit F1 on your keyboard (which should bring up the help section pertaining to the window that is open) and scroll to the bottom of the article.
10. If you send claims for the carrier being entered electronically, call support for help with the Claims tab, or refer to setup instructions provided with the electronic claims module.
11. Click Save when finished.